Thursday 16 April 2015

Easter trip to Queensland

For Easter, I was able to take 4 days off work and head up to Queensland to join up with Mum and Dad in a trip to visit some uncles, aunts, and cousins. Growing up, my whole extended family was located in Tassie, but these days everyone is spread around the country (and sometimes overseas) so it takes a bit more planning and traveling to catch up. Which means that catching up with the family can mean a nice little holiday to sunny Queensland - except that it chose to be rainy Queensland to make us feel at home.

I had a really nice time with the extended family, but mostly we were eating way too much, talking, and just spending time together so I didn't take many photos. We did go for a nice drive up the mountains, and went for a tour of Joh and Flo Bjelke-Petersen's family farm, "Bethany", but I didn't take any photos of any of that for some reason either.

In fact, I don't think I used my camera at all while I was away. Dad did, though. On my last morning in Queensland, we were in Tin Can Bay and we went to the dolphin feeding. There is a pod of Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins at Tin Can Bay that come into shore every morning to be feed fish by tourists. They have been doing so for over 30 years, and the dolphins seem to enjoy their interaction with the humans. The humans definitely enjoy their interaction with the dolphins. Mum, Bec, and I all feed the dolphins and Dad played cameraman for us.

Tin Can Bay


One of the Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins


Each dolphin has one local in the water to direct the feeding and make sure that the tourist are obeying all the rules for the dolphin's safety (and possibly for the tourist as well, but they aren't as important). There is also another local whose job it is to keep the pelicans and cormorants from coming in and stealing the fish out of the tourists hands.


A pelican who would quite like the opportunity to steal some fish. 


 Mum feeding the dolphin.


 Me feeding the dolphin.


A pelican who wasn't allowed to steal even one fish and doesn't look particularly happy about it.

No comments: