Wednesday 2 April 2008

Power's out

I woke up this morning, tumbled out of bed, switched on the bathroom light and nothing happened. I thought 'great, its pouring outside and I'm going to have to go down and turn on the emergency credit" because I assumed that I had just run out of power credit.

The water was still hot so I decided to have a shower and get ready for uni and turn the power on when I left. When I got to the power box I realised that the power was out to all four of the units because the credit displays were all blank- as I drove to uni I realised that most of my side of Lutana had no electricity.

Apparently about 40,000 homes around Hobart woke up to no electricity this morning- and I was just lucky enough to be one of them.

Thankfully, the university still has power so I didn't get out of bed for no good reason.

3 comments:

Robert Kingston said...

The power at my place pretended to go out a couple of times - but didnt quite manage it.

Apparently the wind was so bad, that it blew over a truck on the Tasman Bridge!

Some of the bridges in Melbourne were closed down too.

Joolz said...

yes we had a minor power outage here too. Glad that you weren't blown away and you still have a roof over your head.

Martin said...

At least you got a hot shower. I woke up to no power, but as we have an electronically controlled gas hot water heater, with no storage capacity (it's a heat as you go one), there was no hot water at all. Blisteringly cold weather too.

Mind you, other than losing power, we've had no issues, so it could have been a lot worse.