Thursday 29 May 2008

Aquatic Botany Prac Exam

This is a photograph of what very large phytoplankton look like under the highest magnification of a good quality microscope.
So you can imagine what very small phytoplankton look like... and they move.

This makes them very hard to identify -which is what I just had to do in my prac exam.
I didn't enjoy it very much.
In fact, that was probably the hardest prac exam I've ever done- I'm not even sure I got any of the identifications right.

On the other hand- I'm pretty sure I blitzed identifying the species of seaweed, but that really doesn't make up much of the test so its not worth a lot.


Anyway, the good news is that I have officially finished all classes for this semester. All I have left now is my four theory exams the first of which is only a week away. Scary thought.


P.S. I'm pretty sure the cigar shaped brownish algae in the photo is pseudo-nitzschia, but then again I could be wrong because as I've just said I'm not very good at this.

3 comments:

Joolz said...

is tha name for a person, or because they look like cigars containing nicotine?

Emma said...

I suspect its because they look a little like the ones in the genus nitzschia- so they called them pseudo-nitzschia, but I don't know where the original name came from

Anonymous said...

At least you wernt sea sick and had to leave the room before you showed everyone what you had for lunch. I agree it was terrible. Anyways I have to go and work on my two assignments that are due before I can relax and study for my exams.
See you at some point over the 'break'
Tori