Friday 30 April 2010

A funny thing happened the other day...

Ok, so I've been spending all my time writing my stupid thesis and I havent been able to have enough conversations with people. Usually I get this out of my system when I hang out with my friends on Sunday, but I havent been able to recently so I have a couple of funny stories that I need to tell. You have to imagine that I'm telling them in my comedy voice.

Story number 1
So, the other day I was demonstrating in the first year zoology prac the same as I do every week. This week, though, the firsties were dissecting cockroaches. There was the usual range of enthusiasm - some couldnt wait to pick them up and start playing around with them, and others wouldn't even touch them with their forceps unless they were wearing gloves. A group of four boys that sit at the back bench (and usually behave like boys sitting in the back row always behave) were ready to start the rather fiddly task of removing the mouth parts from their cockroaches so I was showing them how. I had them all holding their cockroaches in one hand and using their fine forceps to locate each of the different mouth parts with the other when suddenly there was a highpitched scream from the big, tough looking guy closest to me as he threw his cockroach back in the dissecting dish. The whole class had turned around and he very sheepishly said "I thought I felt it move" and went bright red. It made my day.

Story number 2
I told the last story to my dad on the phone the other night, but this next story has yet to have made a public appearance anywhere so you are they very first people to enjoy it.
I was getting ready to go to uni the other day, putting my shoes and socks on while I drank my coffee and watched Sunrise on the tv. Whatever they were talking about on tv must have been quite interesting because it took me a while to put on my shoes and socks. I had one foot shoed and socked and was about to sock the other one, but I couldn't find my sock. I looked around. I looked in the shoe. I looked under the cushion on the couch. I checked to make sure I wasn't sitting on it. But I couldn't find it.

I was pacing up and down around the room trying to figure out where on earth my sock had gone when I realised that the shoe that I was wearing felt a bit tighter than usual. Somehow I had managed to put both socks on one foot without realising. It made me LOL.

So there you are, dead cockroaches and missing socks. I lead an interesting life : )

8 comments:

Martin said...

So, this makes me ask, how's the grammar in the thesis? Is it genuinely coherent?

Emma said...

why? Was the post incoherent?

Emma said...

And anyway, coherence is over rated.

Emma said...

especially when I'm using my comedy voice.

Emma said...

"Genuinely coherent"?
Do you mean generally coherent, or do you genuinely mean genuinely?

Martin said...

I think I'll leave you to ponder it for a while.

carrot said...

There were problems with your grammer! I didn't notice anything! :-)

Joolz said...

apart from the usual stuff, i only noticed that were shoed and not shod.