Wednesday 1 May 2013

The cursed pot

Now back to our usual frivolity.
I have a fairly standard looking, white ceramic pot plant pot. It was a gift from my mum and at the time it was given to me it had a nice healthy plant in it. Not for long, though. I believe that the original plant was an African Violet (mum might correct me on that), but it started looking sick pretty much straight away and promptly died. Nothing too surprising about that as African Violets can be a bit tricky, but I claim to have a green thumb and usually pride myself on my ability to keep my plants healthy and happy so I tried again with another plant. This time it was a cutting from an idoor climber that Mum has (not sure what its called). That, too, died almost instantly. Then I gave in and got a succulent. Now everybody knows that succulents are virtually indestructable, right? Not so. It lasted slightly longer than the others, but still died pretty quickly. I had almost decided that this was a coincidence - no pot could be responsible for killing all those plants, so after the pot being plantless for several months, I bought a rather stunning cyclamen and vowed to do everything in my power to keep it alive. Despite all my efforts, however, the cyclamen lasted only two weeks. Two weeks! Almost the instant I put it in the pot, it began to die. I tried moving it from room to room, but no temperature or lighting conditions seemed to be able to reverse the problem. I knew that the pot couldn't be poisoned because I had carefully washed it out after the death of the succulent so the only explanation is that it is cursed. I came to this conclusion after a long discussion with my gardening pals. So the pot is now standing empty. I can't decide wether to try one last plant in it or wether to innocently give it as a gift to someone else and pass on the curse.

1 comment:

LadyJane said...

Put in a plastic plant and then give it away; problem solved!

You could turn it into a mini-landscape scene too. Just with non-living materials. And then still give it away, just in case!