Wednesday 7 May 2014

Tanzania and Zanzibar

 I joined up with my tour group in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. Unfortunately, I didn't have a very good first impression of Dar, being stuck in a traffic jam for four hours in the most hot and humid place I've ever visited. Dar was hot, smelly, extremely poor, and very overcrowded. Everything about it was overwhelming. I didn't get any photos of the overwhelming parts of the city simply because I was too overwhelmed to get my camera out.

Thankfully, we didn't spend much time in Dar, but caught a ferry across to Zanzibar. Stonetown in Zanzibar is also hot, smelly, and overcrowded, but it isn't as bad as Dar so I got a few photos there.

  



This is the monument to the slaves that were sold in this slave market, chained to a tree. Several of the holding cells still exist and we were taken through them to see the appalling conditions that the slaves were stored in before they were auctioned off. The whole place made me feel sick.

When we left Stonetown and went to the beach, I started to enjoy my time in Zanzibar more.



My favourite part of Tanzania, though, was when we finally left Dar again and headed inland. The rural parts of Tanzania are beautiful and the coolness of the mountain air was such a welcome change from the heat of the coast.


No comments: