Sunday 26 October 2014

Don't I sound sophisticated...

I was out and about being cultured two nights in a row last week. Well going to opening night at the theatre and a fundraising Ball sounds cultured, doesn't it? It really isn't, but it was a lot of fun anyhow.

I organised a girl's night group to come with me to The Vicar of Dibley play, being put on by Encore Theatre at the Earl. Due to our various commitments, the night that worked best for all of us was opening night, and due to there being hardly any seats available where all four of us could sit together, we ended up in the very front row. So there we were, at the theatre, in the front row, on opening night. Thankfully, the Earl is one of those places that sitting in the front row is actually a good thing, not like some theatres where you really can't see anything from the front row.

The play was quite good, which I was very pleased about given that I was the only one from our little group that usually goes to the theatre and I had convinced the others to come with me. The local cast were really good, especially Alice, Owen, and Mr Horton - you could be forgiven for forgetting that you weren't watching the original actors. Unfortunately, Sue Hodge's performance as the Vicar was less than stellar. Overall, the play was quite good and kept us all entertained. The girls said that they wouldn't mind going to another one, so I may have converted them into theatre goers.

 The next night was the local Hospital Ball, a fundraising event that I was attending as Mum's date. I like to think that I was a good date for the evening. The band, 24/7, did classic pub rock covers from the 70s to the 90s and were actually very good. We even danced to quite a few of the songs. And I got a balloon! Unfortunately, that balloon has now died, but it was fun while it lasted.

No comments: