Tuesday 25 August 2015

Update

 Something happened yesterday that is worthy of an update, but that I don't really want to dwell on too much. I and my dear Barry the Barina were involved in a minor car accident. I got out of this basically unscathed except for a bruise from the seatbelt, a jarred wrist, and the inevitable shock, but poor Barry fared a bit worse. I was headed to Latrobe to meet up with a couple of friends for some bushwalking in search of a platypus to photograph when a large tractor merged back onto the road from where it had obviously been driving along the edge of the road to let people past it, this caused a line of about 8 cars to all stop quite hurriedly. Unfortunately, my brakes locked up and I didn't stop in time. The car in front of me was towing a dog trailer and I hit the spare wheel mounted on the back of the trailer, doing no damage at all to his vehicle, trailer, or dogs. The driver of the vehicle was very understanding, having only just managed to stop in time to avoid the car in front of him, and was happy to declare that there was no damage to his vehicle and leave as soon as I said I would be ok. Being only a few minutes from Latrobe, I was able to call Rob to come and get me and was very well looked after by everyone. Unfortunately, Barry will need to be taken to the doctor for another round of plastic surgery to recover from the incident so I have very kindly been loaned one of Rob's cars for the next couple of days.

Now that is dealt with, on to pleasanter things.
I recently learned how to 'flood ice' biscuits with the help of a youtube tutorial and have now practiced the skill twice. I made a small batch of teapot biscuits for a friend's birthday (which I didn't photograph so you'll have to imagine) and then this batch of cutesy owls.
Its the first time I have used the owl biscuit cutter which I have actually had for quite a while, but now I think it will be one of my most used ones because the result is so darn cute.

Also in domestic diva news, I have been harvesting ridiculous quantities of lemons from Rob's lemon tree and turning them into lemon cordial. I have previously made 2 quite small batches, but on my last visit I picked a very large bag of lemons which after a considerable amount of effort yielded nearly 3 litres of juice. This in turn made 5 litres of cordial syrup and I have to say that it is very tasty and worth all the effort of juicing them. Rob's tree is still loaded with fruit and as soon as enough ripen, I'll do it all again.

In unrelated news, I have now joined the track pants and ugg boots brigade. Yes, that's right, I'm now on Centrelink. My Austudy claim has been approved which means I'll be able to keep paying rent and feeding myself while working on my diploma. I'm so glad that filling in all that paperwork didn't turn out to be fruitless.

And speaking of my diploma, I have made an attempt at starting it. The first thing I have had to do is convince my lecturer that the study site I have chosen will be suitable, by tromping around it and taking lots of photos to send her. That was actually quite fun. I always enjoy tromping through bushland and even found a couple of Tasmanian devil footprints which were quite fresh, indicating that a devil walked that track in the last couple of days.

No comments: