Wednesday 26 September 2007

The Cemetery


Now if you thought that my love of plants was sad, you are going to think that this is tragic- but I did warn you that my life is full of randomness and chaos.

Today I only had one lecture - at 8:00 this morning. When I got home I didn't feel much like doing my assignments (does any one ever?) so a friend and I randomly went to explore the cemetery about 5 minutes drive away. We had been to the cemetery once before, but didn't have much time so we decided we wanted to go back and check it out again- and hopefully find the grave of my friends grandfather. The cemetery is old, and very large so it took us a few hours to walk through it all. We were intrigued by some of the graves with shrines, and the old graves. Unexpectedly, we came across a crypt with a stone moved so we could see inside. Curiosity took over and we had to look inside. Here are the photos.

See the fallen sandstone block in the bottom of the photo

Close-up of the gap between the sandstone blocks
Flash photo of the insideof the crypt- the bright structure in the fore-ground in a piece of grass. Apart from the small amount of litter on the floor, the only visible object in the crypt is the "seat" against the back wall. We assume that the actual coffin was placed under the floor of the crypt.

Although, some people might think that spending a day in a grave yard is a little strange we really did enjoy it. We didn't find the grave we were looking for, but my friend is going to ask his dad where it was and we will go back. Even if you do think we are weird you have to admit that some of the statues in the grave yard are beautiful - sad, but beautiful.





Please note that I did eventually do my assignments that afternoon- in case you were worried about my academic career

3 comments:

Robert Kingston said...

Whatever you do - dont blink!

Joolz said...

I agree. Glad that you are getting some exercise and fresh air, it helps to study later.

Unknown said...

Looking at graveyards isn't weird is it? lol I like exploring graveyards too....Nice to know I'm not the only one around. There is a great on in Shoreham, with the oldest graves I've ever seen. Medieval!