Saturday 22 September 2007

My Babies

I'm very excited because during the course of today 3 new babies have arrived.
Let me explain.
I am not able to have pets because I'm renting so instead I have plants...lots and lots of plants. I also have a tank of fish, but they don't require much care so I needed some other living things to care for. I have two indoor plants, but my pride and joy is my tiny patch of garden outside. When I moved in to the flat about six months ago it was a patch of weeds, but now it is a garden. My dad turned over all the soil one day when he and Mum came down for a visit (thanks Dad) and then I covered it in weedmat and woodchips. It stayed with nothing in it for a while until I found the time to put some bulbs in. I planted most of the bulbs in pots so it will be easy to take them with me when I move. I also put in some cuttings of lavender and another plant (Mum said it would grow from cuttings, but I don't know what it is). My daffodils have flowered beautifully, and my freesias will be out in a few days. Apart from watering, though, my garden, like my fish, does not require very much care and attention so I had to find something else. I decided to cultivate seedlings of parsley and mint from seeds to plant in a pot with some chives so I have some herbs over summer. I was expecting to have to wait about 3 weeks to see seedlings come up in the tray of soil on my window sill, but within 5 days I found that I had tiny little mint seedlings. During the course of today 3 more seedlings bravely pushed through the soil into the sunlight and began the process of de-etiolation. I now have 10 seedlings, and I am extremely proud of them (quite sad isn't it, but I am studying biology after all).

I haven't taken any photos of my little babies yet, but I will leave you with some photos of my garden.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

ooooh! Pitty Flowere:) I'm so missing out on Spring...I love spring, it is my favourite season. Autumn here is O.K, but not a patch on a Tassie spring... Blossoms, Daffodils, Jonquills, Bluebells, Freesias, Tulips...Sigh