Sunday 2 December 2007

The escapade to the beacon light...

I know that I haven't posted much recently (not that it really matters because only a devoted few actually bother logging on and checking my blog anyway). Finally I have some time to get some things done-like sleep. I slept amazingly well last night- no nightmares- no stupid confusing dreams- and I slept all the way from 10:30ish to 7:30 in the morning- thats the longest I have slept in absolutely ages.

Anyway, I suppose anyone reading this will be wanting more interesting news than my sleeping habits. Probably the most exciting thing is that I passed all my exams and my results are as follows:

Functional Biology of Animals ~ Credit
Evolution, Ecology & Society ~ Distinction
Plant Genetics & Molecular Bio ~ Distinction
Marine Microbiology ~ Distinction

Not too bad but I really would have liked at least one High Distinction.

Anyway, in other news...
I am currently at home (I should clarify- I am currently at my parent's house in Exeter rather than in my flat in Hobart). I got here late on Saturday arvo and plan to stay for about a week although I will probably go through to Rob's place in Devonport for an evening at some point and maybe stay the night there.

Something else that you might not know is that I have recently spent a week on Bruny Island with some friends of mine. It was really nice there- spent a lot of time on the beach.

Martin, Chris, and I set off on an expedition to get around the point of the beach to go to a beacon light. The first time we made it to the point but didn't know the beacon existed so we didn't quite go far enough.

The second time we went back but couldn't make it all the way because the tide was up too far which pushed us up on to the rocks and we gave up because of the lack of shoes (rocks and bare feet didn't work).

I can't remeber what happened the third time, but again we tried and for some reason failed.

The forth time we tried a new tactic- we decided to don our board shorts and go the entire way around in the water. This time we were attacked by a kelp forest and Martin stepped on something rather spikey in the water which made pretty red stuff come out of a hole in his foot so we got out of the water and turned back (again we got heartbrakingly close). I also got a hole in my foot, but it didn't bother me until two days later when apparently it was infected and then it bothered me a lot. My foot got doctored and bandaged and I was ordered to wear shoes on the beach at all times so I didn't get sand in it.

Again we went for a walk on the beach and because Chris and I were both wearing shoes this time we decided to make one last attempt on the light at the end of the point. Unfortunately, Martin wasn't wearing shoes and again we had to abandon the mission and turn back.

I have some very awesome pictures that I should upload, but I have to charge my camera before it will stay awake long enough to download all the pictures. I have some great ones of Martin playing mussel golf (its played by picking the largest mussels you can find, pulling them off the rock, and hitting them as hard as you can into the water with a big stick- it involves a lot of missing!)

A lot of the time while we were attempting to adventure to the beacon and such like things I felt very much as if I am now finally old enough to be able to do all the things that the Famous Five did before they were 10- I mean they had their own island complete with a castle and rowed out to it all by themselves and stayed there for a week or two eating tinned peaches and drinking ginger beer and solving some mystery that all the adults were too stupid to solve... and they were only 10!!!! I did mention this to Martin, but he never really read the Famous Five (poor deprived underpriviledged childhood it must have been- probably never read The Magic Pudding or The Muddleheaded Wombat or Winnie the Pooh or anything) so he didn't really understand at all.

The very best thing about Bruny was the hammocks on the front deck. There were two and Martin and I claimed one each very soon after we arrived and we both spent a very considerable amount of time in them over the rest of the week. Only problem was that I discovered that if you get in straight after you finish eating your cereal it makes me rather seasick. Martin discovered that if you eat breakfast in the hammock you don't have that problem : )

The very worst thing about Bruny is the fact that I came home covered in mosquito bites (and sand, but that washes off).

Anyways, I'd better get on with it or I'll get all off schedule for the nothing I've got to do today.

Emma

2 comments:

Robert Kingston said...

So the Beacon light still awaits to be discovered?

Emma said...

I've seen photos and its not very exciting- its a tiny small box with a light in the top, but it managed to beat us because even with 5 attempts we didn't ever quite get there.