Friday 18 July 2008

Cultured and Sophisticated.

Well, I have finished the first week of semester, but that was boring so I don't want to tell you about that. Instead I want to tell you about last night.

Last night my friend Tiani and I decided to be (or pretend to be) cultured and sophisticated and go to the theatre to see a play. The drama society at uni, PLoT (stands for something, but I don't know what), puts on a play at the beginning of each semester. Tiani and I have been to see several, including Treasure Island, The Taming of the Shrew (updated in modern English), and a comedy night with several smaller skits. Last night was Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest.

I have been interested in Oscar Wilde books and plays for several years now and I think the man was an absolute genius. The best thing about Oscar Wilde plays is the dialogue and because it is not so very old as Shakespeare it is far easier to understand than Shakespeare plays.

Well, Tiani and I had a fantastic evening at the theatre and PLoT did quite a decent job of the production, we even knew a couple of the actors so we mixed with them a little before they had their cast party (it was closing night- and the place was packed). Then Tiani and I went back to her place to discuss how terribly cultured and sophisticated we are, and how unsophisticated everyone is who doesn't go to the theatre on a regular basis as we sat and drank a glass of rosé (Maison, of course).

We have also heard about a night of one act plays at the Playhouse Theatre in town next Saturday evening. Admission is only $5 and the quality should be good (because its not just a bunch of uni students like PLoT) so Tiani and I are planning to be cultured and sophisticated again next week.

2 comments:

Joolz said...

Just remember to be learned as well as cultured and sophistocated, won't you.

Robert Kingston said...

Congrats on being all sofisticatered Loopy!

Still think I had more fun when I went and tried to kill my friends on Saturday. But each to his own I suppose.