Sunday 13 July 2008

Week 3 of Holidays...

Ok, so what did I do with my last week of freedom before heading back to uni? Well, several things.

I spent some more time at Mum and Dad's spending time with Fidget.



I went to the RSPCA with my brother and helped him adopt a beautiful 8 month old cat named Neptune, and then spent a few days helping Neptune settle in to his new home (and Robert settling in to his new role as litter box cleaner).


I worked on finishing of my list of things that I wanted to do over the holidays, one of which was to re-cover The Big Brown Cushion.

When my parents were a young, newly married couple moving into a flat in Hobart they were given a rather large brown floor cushion. This cushion stayed with them and has been affectionately known as The Big Brown Cushion my entire life.


When I moved into my flat in Hobart The Big Brown Cushion came to live with me. The Big Brown Cushion has had rather a hard life, having been sat on and cuddled up with and had things spilt all over it for longer than I have been alive so I decided I would make a new removable, washable cover for it.

I had every intention of keeping the new cover brown because I really can't imagine The Big Brown Cushion any other colour. I thought my family would be happy to see The Big Brown Cushion loved and restored to its former glory with a new big brown cover, but when I told the boys in my family of my plans there were cries of,
"You can't change The Big Brown Cushion. Its a classic" from both of them.
Who knew boys would be so sentimental about a cushion!?!

But after very carefully explaining to each of them twice that the new cover would be brown and removable so the same old Big Brown Cushion would be right there underneath if they ever missed it, I was allowed to proceed as planned.

So I designed, cut out, and pinned the cover and Mum operated the sewing machine (because her sewing machine hates me and throws a tantrum every time I go near it- once it even sewed over my finger in an attempt to kill me and get rid of me permanentlty), and we gave our dear old Big Brown Cushion a makeover.


After all the excitment of Neptune and the Big Brown Cushion and having a man cold (which for those of you who don't know is a cold that convinces you that you are about to die- same as all men get, but occassionally a female can contract one as well) it was time to head back down to Hobart.

Once back in Hobart I continued to work on the rest of the list of things I had planned to do over the holidays by pulling everything out of one of my cupboards, reorganizing it and putting it back in, sorting out and re-filing all my paperwork, and getting my books and timetable organized and organizing my desk for the semester.

With all that done only one thing was left on the list of things to do over the holidays- Have a bubble bath.
But, of course, the council decided to cut of the water without any warning to fix what ever had spontaneously caused water to be gushing out of the footpath up the road and turning it into a river. When the water finally was turned back on it looked like this.


But after a while it settled down (it was only air bubbles anyway) and I got my bubble bath and finished off my list.

So now all I have to do is go back to uni.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joolz said...

You got some odd comments this time. How was the field trip?

Martin said...

Interesting to see consolidation loans is at least trying to make it look like a real post, rather than the ad it is. Gotta love the bots, they're getting better and better these days!

Robert Kingston said...

Thats why you had Anonymous disabled. Might have to get strick again :(

Wasnt there a anti-bot "can you read this" sort of test earlier?

Robert Kingston said...

And after all your fine promises - you've gone and made the cushion black!

Emma said...

Its not black- its just a darker brown!!

Emma said...

Anti-bot "can you read this" sort of test restored to former annoyance.

Robert Kingston said...

Aunty Libby will learn to cope, no doubt...