Wednesday 20 August 2008

Movie Review

Ok, so I've been thinking for a while that I should do some movie reviews on my blog.
Actually, I have the thought after almost every movie I watch and today I'm finally going to do it for two movies that I have recently watched.



Firstly, The Children of the Silk Road.
This is a movie based on a true story in 1930's war torn China, and as such is not a cheerful movie.
In fact, it is quite decidedly sad in quite a few places, but it was a beautiful movie.
This is not a movie you should watch if you are in need of cheering up, but it is a movie that you should watch. I went to the State Cinema to see it with a couple of friends, but I'm sure it will be out on DVD shortly.



And secondly, August Rush.
Again this is not the sort of movie I generally watch. Normally, I'm interested in romantic comedies- you know your basic chick flicks- and some action movies, but this would fit more under the genera of drama than anything else.
I quite liked it, and I think anyone that really enjoys music (and feels it flow through them) would also really enjoy it. This movie made me desperately want to get hold of a 2nd hand guitar and teach myself how to play : )


Now if you've been paying attention you might notice that the same guy appears in both posters. His name is Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, and until just recently I have never heard of him before. He has got one of those strange faces where I can't decide if he is cute or ugly, and in one movie he has an English accent and in one an Irish accent and they both sound perfectly natural so I don't know where is actually from (probably the USA or somewhere completely different), but none of that really matters because he is quite a good actor (by that I mean that I wasn't distracted from the storyline by it, so it must have been good).

Also of interest is the fact that Robin Williams is in August Rush. Robin has been one of my favourite actors and comedians since childhood (mostly because of his role of the Genie in Aladdin), but I still very much respect his acting ability. He usually either seems to play a comedian or a psychopath (occasionally a bit of both in the same role), but this time he wasn't really either- just a little bit creepy.



Now for the bit that you have been waiting for:

The Children of the Silk Road *** (3 stars)
August Rush *** (3 stars)


In case you need a reference list to figure out how good three starts actually is here you go.

* Don't bother watching it- movies such as Shop Girl fall into this category
** Yeah, watch it, but don't expect too much from it and don't spend money on it (I'm having trouble thinking of something that falls into this category)
*** A movie I would actually recommend to a friend to watch.
**** A movie I really enjoyed and would buy a copy of the DVD- Keeping Mum falls into this category.
***** An absolutely awesome movie. Pirates of the Caribbean- The curse of the Black Pearl and the BBC Pride and Prejudice both fall into this category for me.

Well, there you have it- Emma Kingston, Movie Critic Extraordinaire

2 comments:

Joolz said...

Don't know how you are able to find time to be a good student and a movie critic.

Tori said...

Jonathan RM is in Bend it Like Beckham and he plays and Irish character so I cant really help you out on his origins but I guess its two to Ireland and one to England.
Robin Williams is one of my favourite actors too but because he reminds me of my Dad. They look the same and have the same sence of humour which is especially obvious in Hook and Patch Adams.