Thursday 12 February 2009

Jetlag

Hi there, faithful followers.

We have made it back to Australia and we are both very glad to be back. It was hard to be on the other side of the world watching all the headlines about the bush fires in Victoria. Especially knowing we had family and friends scattered around Victoria and weren't sure exactly which areas the fires covered. Thankfully, everyone we were concerned for has survived the fires virtually unscathed apart from our cousin, Maddy, who lost her home.

Well, as all of you know, going to and from the other side of the world involves tortuously long flights followed by a few days of the foggy-headed-ness of jet lag.

We spent around 21 hours actually in the air, but spent a good deal longer than that in transit from England to Tassie. The first flight was the longest at 12 hours - we then had about an hour in Singapore airport before the next flight which was another 8 hours to get to Melbourne.

We left London at 10:00pm so we responded to the fact that it should be night by trying to get some sleep. I actually managed to sleep better than any other flight I have ever been on (including the ones to America a few years ago) - I got around 4 hours broken sleep. We were fed breakfast before arriving in Singapore, which felt appropriate as we knew that if we had gotten on to the plane at 10:00pm and it had taken 12 hours to get there it should now be morning. But it wasn't morning in Singapore - it was 6:00pm. It was nighttime again. So we were, of course, fed tea shortly after take-off when we left Singapore again and expected to want to try and sleep.

Neither of us bothered to even try - we made good use of the movies on offer. I didn't watch anything that was so good that I can recommend it to everyone reading. But there are hardly any movies that would appeal to such a varied audience.

We got into Melbourne at around 6:00 in the morning so they, of course, fed us breakfast at around 4:30. We then finally made it into Launnie in the early afternoon and Dad picked us up from the airport. Rob was really happy to be able to drive again - after all our time in tour buses, ferries, trains, taxis, and planes he was glad to be back in control of a vehicle himself.

Our top priority was, very understandably, a shower. After that important duty was completed I got comfortable on the couch with my feet up (literally, with my feet up - my ankles got terribly swollen from the flight) and accidentally had a nap. It wasn't deliberate - Judge Judy must have been even more boring than usual. I didn't wake up until a couple of hours later after Mum had gotten home.

I managed to stay awake until a reasonable time to go to bed after that and after 9 hours sleep or so I woke up. And I mean I woke up - there was no hope of going back to sleep so I got up and kept Dad company while he had breakfast and got ready for work (Mum had just left already).

I spent the day doing not much and most of the time my cat, Fidget did not much on my lap.

I managed not to have an accidental naps (or any on purpose either, for that matter) yesterday, but that was clearly exhausting as this time when I went to bed I slept for over 12 hours. And even now, after an epic sleep like that, I feel as though if I tried to watch Judge Judy I would end up asleep again. In fact, I think if I stopped typing and just sat here for a while I would be asleep in a few minutes.

Rob has just gone back to Devonport - so this is the longest I have had without him for almost the last month. I'm surprised, but quite pleased, that we didn't end up killing each other - over 3 weeks of sharing a room and going everywhere together would be a challenge for any brother and sister, especially when you then add in jet lag and living out of a suitcase. But I'm glad to say that we made it with only one or two major disagreements ;(

3 comments:

Joolz said...

pleasd to hear the you got along with your brother

lizard breath said...

Glad to hear you're both back! Would you do it again, and if so, would you take your brother next time?

Emma said...

Yeah, I think I would do it again - maybe go somewhere different or spend more time in the places I really enjoyed.

It depends wether I found anyone better to take with me or not :)

Truthfully, we got along pretty well so, yes, I probably would take Rob again.