Monday 23 February 2009

The dreaded questions



A lot of my life over the past couple of weeks (well, months really) has been trying to be civil and polite when answering questions that I am sick of being asked.

"So, what are you doing with yourself now that you have graduated?" ...

"Are you going to be staying in Hobart?" ...

"Are you going to be moving back to Launceston?" ...

"What sort of a job are you looking for?" ...


"Are you still going to study Vet Science?" ...

"Where was your favourite place in Europe?" ...


and "Did you have a good trip?" are some of the most regularly asked.

So here are my answers:
I don't know...

I don't know...

I don't know...


I don't know... I'm pretty much applying for everything that comes up.

I don't know...

I don't know... I liked lots of places, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Scotland, Salisbury (no, the last one isnt a country, its a village)... I don't really have a favourite.


Yes... I think so... yes... yes, I had a fantastic time and I loved it.

As you can see I'm a little uncertain at the moment. I wouldn't be at all uncertain about the last question except for the fact that I have, by this point, been bombarded with so many questions from so many different people that I would be uncertain if you asked me what my name is.

When I answer these very well meaning, sincere questions with such a non-commital answer the person who posed that question invariably looks a little disappointed.

And the poor, faithful few who have been asking the same questions since I graduated a couple of months ago are now starting to look a little exasperated.

I think shortly they are going to start looking a little annoyed.

And so am I.

1 comment:

Tori said...

I just thought I would let you know. So that you can answer truthfully. That your name is Emma Grace Kingston.