Thursday 4 June 2009

18 months

I do try to keep the crazy side of me hidden as much as possible, but I'm sure that you all know that it is there. I'm fairly harmlessly crazy, not psychotic or anything, but I am still a little crazy. Usually this craziness is played out only in the privacy of my own mind. Rarely does any of it actually make it out into the real world, but whilst I am waiting in line at the supermarket or doing my house work, my mind is busy thinking up its latest bit of crazy.

The craziness that my mind dwells on at any time seems quite random and could be almost anything, but recently it has been dwelling on one thing over and over again: What would I do if I was told that I only had 18months left to live?

Why 18 months? I don't know. Why am I suddenly thinking about dying? I don't know. But it is an interesting way to reevaluate my life and figure out what should be my most important priorities. What would I want to tell the people I love? What would I want to accomplish? What would I want people to remember about me after I was gone?

Most of us don't get told how long we have left to live. Life is short and death can come suddenly. We don't all get the opportunity to prepare for our deaths, we get too caught up in all the little things that we have to do everyday and we forget to look at the bigger picture. We forget to say simple things like "Thank-you" and "I love you." And we forget to mean them.

I think that if we lived our lives remembering that they could be over at any time, in 40 years, 18 months, or 2 days, we would spend less time filling our houses with stuff and more time filling our lives with memories.

So, what would you do if you knew you only had 18 months left on earth?

5 comments:

LadyJane said...

If I had only 18 months left...hmmm...I've never really thought about it. That's an interesting crazy you have there...

Tori said...

I would quit school cause after all I wouldnt be using my education and I would probably spend my last few months travelling to see all my friends and family one last time and then I would just stay close to my animals and closest family/friends until the end. A rather morbid thought but one I found surprisingly easy to answer. You didnt tell us how you would spend your 18 months

carrot said...

Yeah, what would you do Em?

I'd probably try desperately hard to get a boyfriend. A nice perfect boyfriend who is funny and smart and easy to talk to. They don't exist when you're in grade 8, but oh well.

If I only had 18 months left to live I'd make sure I got kissed before I died.

Joolz said...

I would make sure that I was right with God, I would remind everyone that I love, that I love them and I would make peace with anyone that I was at odds with and then I would make the most of every minute I had.

lizard breath said...

I'm with Joolz. I'd also spend time with my family, witnessing to them and praying for them. After all, family is the only earthly possession we can take with us!