Wednesday 8 July 2009

Everything goes bang!

Well, not literally 'bang', but 'bang' in the sense that it all stops working.
Most of you already know that I had a situation last week in which I was powerless. Not powerless in the sense that there was nothing I could do, but powerless in the sense that I had no electricity. Well, thats not actually true, I did have some electricity - just half the power points in the apartment stopped working all of a sudden. Most of you have already heard all about that story, though. I'll just give you a quick reminder of how it went

" It was a dark, cold, stormy night ..."
I'm sure its all come flooding back to you now. Well, anyway I now know why the fuse blew (blew? Is that spelt right? It seems wrong. Oh well, you know what I mean). Turns out there must have been a considerable power surge because it managed to melt the insides of one of my heavy duty surge protector powerboards. Good thing I have surge protector powerboards, otherwise it may have melted the insides of my TV and DVD player and everything else.

Anyway, just after getting all of that sorted out, my telephone (and, much more annoyingly, my internet) died. But not just my telephone - all the telephones in the street. It took them about 5 days to get it all sorted out before I got back online.

Well, that got all sorted out, but then, of course, something else had to go wrong. Now, my washing machine isn't working. Well, its pretending to work, but its only pretending. It fills up with water and then it just sits there for half and hour and then it spins all the water out again. The only part that isn't working is the part that actually washes the clothes. The annoying part is that, as the washing machine came with the apartment, I cant just get it fixed like a normal person would. I have to call my property manager who has to call the landlord who has to call the maintenance people and then the landlord has to call the property manager again so that she can call me so that we can organise to get it fixed. I called the property manager a couple of days ago, but haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure where in the chain of phonecalls we are currently up to, but I hope to get it fixed soon because working 5 days a week with only one uniform and no washing machine is not all that much fun.

Now I'm off to Aydens to bribe him with bakery goods so that I can use his washing machine.

5 comments:

Robert Kingston said...

At least you won't have to pay for the washing mashine to be fixed - unlike a normal person.

Bakery goods are good for bribing people :)

Joolz said...

you can bring some washing home if you like. If all else fails use a laundry mat.

Anonymous said...

Is a laundry mat anything like a bathroom carpet?

Martin said...

Nice to see the grammar nazi's are out today!

Robert Kingston said...

And it wasnt even me :(

I was too slow...