Thursday 23 July 2009

In which Emma rejoins the league of the unemployed.

Most of you already know that I have resigned from work. Most of you seemed to be quite surprised by this and have expressed a desire to know why I would do such a thing. There are two main reasons why none of you were expecting me to resign - firstly, because I was not actually expecting myself to resign either, and, secondly, because I had quite deliberately not told anyone about the problems I was facing at work.

I didn't (and still don't) want to bad mouth the company, or portray any of the other employees in a negative light. These problems were not the real reason I resigned anyway - I had been facing them for the past few months and would have gone on facing them. I was expecting that once I went back to uni I would be quite happy at work, being able to just turn up at work, do my shift, and then leave rather than working full time as I have been for the last few weeks. I was actually really looking forward to this. The real reason I had to resign was because my boss couldn't accept that I have to put uni as my first priority and work around that rather than study around work. She couldn't (well, wouldn't) give me the shifts I needed to be able to continue working there while I was at uni. My choice came down to uni or work. I chose uni.

I found this out on Monday and I had a long talk to Mum and Dad on Monday night before I resigned on Tuesday. Tuesday morning, before I had a chance to resign, I was (finally!) given my work uniform trousers (I only had a shirt), my name tag, and a log-on name on the computer system. That made it even harder to actually resign, but I did it. For me, quitting wasn't the easy option. It would have been easier to stay at work, but my study would have suffered.

Anyway, today (Thursday - yes I know that's only a couple of days after I actually resigned) was my last shift at work. I have now finished and all I have to do is drop off my (brand new) uniform and name tag on Saturday. I have had to promise to visit the girls at work regularly and they have promised to give me free food when I do. Pity I don't eat any of the stuff from the bakery :)

No comments: