Saturday 25 July 2009

So ... undashing.

Ok, so I thought I would share with you something that happened to me tonight to lighten up your day. For some reason it always cheers us up to hear about something slightly bad (but not actually terrible) happening to other people - I guess it makes us feel as though we aren't the only one whose life doesn't go according to plan. Well, anyway, I'd better get on with my little story.

I was just leaving my friend's house after having dinner with her and another one of my friends and I was wearing the shoes that I affectionately refer to as my 'clodhoppers' - they have very chunky heels and, so, they take a little concentration to maneuver on uneven surfaces. Apparently I wasn't concentrating enough as I walked down the steps from the front door. It was also dark and wet and there was one more step than I thought there was - I'm sure you can figure out what happened next... I fell down.

But I didn't fall down in any normal sort of way, I fell down in slow motion - you could even say it was almost (almost being the operative word here) graceful. I was carrying the plate I had brought with me in my arms, so I didn't want to drop that and, as I was falling in slow motion, I had enough time to figure out how to fall without putting the plate in jeopardy or falling flat on my noes. My solution (and might I say, considering the circumstance, I think it was quite a good one) was to land on my knees. I landed, fairly gently, kneeling on both knees in a puddle (which was already there from the rain and had nothing to do with me, in case that needed clarifying) at the bottom of the stairs. I was then able to stand up with only wet patches on the knees of my jeans to show for the whole adventure.

My friends, Myounghee and Tullia, who had been standing at the top of the stairs and watching me for the whole performance then, of course, immediately rushed towards me to see if I was OK. After managing to convince them I was fine (Tullia was sure I had injured myself), I continued on my way home, with my pride only slightly dented.

As I was driving home, this quote came to mind:

Black Books, Series 1, Episode 4: The Blackout

Bernard: (having explained how he broke his arm by falling down some steps) Hence...
Fran: So why were you embarrassed to tell me?
Bernard: Oh, well, I fell. You know, it was so... undashing.
Fran: And of course, going to the toilet through a wicker chair, well, we've all been there.

If you are familiar with Black Books, I'm sure that just made you giggle. :) Have a good day!



2 comments:

Robert Kingston said...

Thanks for the laugh Loopy.

See you in a couple of days.

carrot said...

I just remembered why I bother to read blogs and blog on my blog.