Monday 3 August 2009

Watch out world, I'm back on campus!!

Well, its official - I started honours yesterday. I didn't do any actual work or anything, just a heap of introductory stuff like getting our swipe cards and keys to the building, being assigned our offices and computers, getting our pin numbers to the photocopy machines, and meeting all the technical staff and important people.

My office is in one of the 'honours rooms'. There are several of these rooms, each one having 6-8 offices in it. The office itself consists of a large desk with a computer on it, with a shelf above you, a bookcase dividing your office from the one next to you on the left, and a pin board on the right. Although there are 6 offices in my honours room, I am only actually sharing it with one other person (I think he said his name was Tom). The rest of my cohort are in the room next door which is completely full. I was a little annoyed to be the only one separated from the rest of my cohort at first, but now I'm thinking it is probably a good thing because their room is going to get pretty noisy when everyone is around. There is also a little mini kitchenette in my room which they don't get.

My cohort consists of five girls, all of whom I went through my degree with. Its nice to be going through this with people you already know; it makes it ever so slightly less daunting. Even so, after the honours coordinator had finished with us yesterday we were all feeling pretty daunted.

I cant really do much work until my supervisor gets back from Japan in a few days time (yes, I finally managed to track him down and that's where he was). That doesn't seem to matter much, though, because the one most important thing an honours student does in the first few weeks of research is, apparently, decorate their desk area. I'm currently working on that :)

5 comments:

Martin said...

If your office wasn't on the other side of the campus, I might consider coming and visiting you. As it stands, I doubt I'll be bothered walking up the hill to the scary place over the road I haven't yet been in.

Emma said...

It wouldn't be scary, though, because I would be there to protect you from all the mutant zoologists :)

Martin said...

Which begs the question, any snakes missing at the moment?

Emma said...

Not that I know of. I haven't checked on Monty recently, though.

Martin said...

Still don't trust that place...