Wednesday 21 October 2009

Field work...

Today, I started my field work for my honours project. Basically, I spent the afternoon sitting on a beach in Orford, soaking up the sunshine and watching birds. Not a bad way to spend a day. Especially considering that a good proportion of my friends are madly studying for exams at the moment.

Lets play a game of spot the bird...
Here's a nice easy one to get you started.


A tad harder, but still quite easy (this is a Red-capped plover, by the way).


This is what I spent my whole day doing - "I know its around here somewhere. Where'd the birdy go?"- Yes, there is a bird in this photo (its a Hooded plover). Every time I put down the binoculars to fill in my data sheet I'd look back up and then have to find the birdy all over again.

As you can see, I would benefit greatly from a photographer and a camera with a nice big zoom, because these little guys are a little camera shy (must be related to Jeff - he is still happily swimming around, by the way).

Anyway, just wanted to show off that I got to spend all day on a beach and you didnt.

"Not to be infantile, but I believe the correct phrase is 'Na, na'" I have no idea where that quote is from, but its locked away in my memory storage and seemed appropriate.

3 comments:

Emma said...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/funny-pictures-cat-makes-fun-of-dog.jpg

I found out where that quote is from. I misquoted it slightly, but I believe I captured the essence of the saying.

Joolz said...

It sounds like your day was nearly as nice as the next 4 shoudl be for us in Noosa. I an so excited. Warm weather here we come.

Martin said...

Beaches, Noosa. Why now?