Sunday 15 November 2009

3 weeks of birthdays

My actual birthday was not really a social event (the most exciting things that happened on the day were meeting up with one of my friends for coffee and stubbing my toe on my couch), but I made the most of the fact that neither my friends (who had exams) nor my family (who had to work) could celebrate with me for my actual birthday and dragged it out for as long as possible, celebrating both before the day and after it. - wow, that was a long sentence - I think I have finally finished my birthday (now time to start Christmas, I guess) so I'll tell you about what I actually did.

Firstly, I celebrated with my family by heading north for the weekend closest to my birthday and claiming the Monday (it was a long weekend in Northern Tas) to be my birthday. I hung out with my family, was sung to, had cake, and opened presents. I got awesome presents. Especially, a particularly exquisite Murano glass fish to add to my collection (yes, three counts as a collection) and a new watch which I love and adore. Tuesday morning on my way back to Hobart, my birthday was extended by a shopping spree in Launceston with Mum to find a dress to wear to Government House last week (yes, I went to Government House again. If you want to know about that ask me in the comments and I will tell you about it).

On Tuesday night, I got a phonecall from Bec, Mike, and Gabi to wish me happy birthday because Gabi would be away at camp the next day.

The Wednesday was my birthday. I was still in bed contemplating getting up and waiting for the snoozed alarm clock to go off again (somewhere between 7:00 and 7:30) when Grandma called to wish me happy birthday. I got a couple of messages during the day and some cards in the mail. Two of my friends that I actually talked to during the day (one I saw face to face and the other I talked to on the net) both forgot it was my birthday. I forgave them both as one was in the middle of exams and the other one was leaving the country that evening and were both understandably distracted. I did, however, get to meet up with one friend that remembered it was my birthday and gave me a gigantic box of chocolates. And then I stubbed my toe on my couch.

On Thursday I got a phonecall from my Mt Isa relations and had a lovely gossip to Aunty Liz.

On Sunday I got a birthday cake at the Pilgrims and my birthday present from my brother which he had sent down with a friend that was traveling from his end of the state to mine. As I opened the huge box, the group of people standing around me got bigger as everyone wanted to see what was going to come out of the box next and read the notes that went with it (if you dont already know what was in the box and you want to find out, ask me in the comments and I might get around to telling you).

Then, the real main event came on Saturday, ten days after my birthday, when I had two birthday parties. I wanted to play another "How to Host a Murder" because I love them so much, but I also wanted to hang out and mess around with a wider group of my friends and play volley ball so I decided to do both. After a few mishaps in the beginining stages of party planning, everything got sorted out and we had a BBQ at wentworth park at lunch time and the murder in the evening. I dont have any photos of the BBQ yet because my trusty photographers have yet to share them with me. But I'll put them up in a seperate post when I get them. A decent percentage of my friends couldnt come in the end, but the those of us that were there had a really great time (well, I did anyway, and nobody has said that they didnt). We were having so much fun that we didnt leave the BBQ until 4:00 and then had to get ourselves (the 8 of us that were involved) organised for the murder.

The murder we played this time was "The class of '54" and we were 8 graduates from Roley City High on our 5th High School reunion (yes, it was set in 1959). I wont tell you too much about the plot so as not to spoil it incase you ever play it, but suffice to say it was a lot of fun and I recommend playing it. We all did a magnificent job of our costumes, without actually going to much trouble at all and dont we look wonderful?
Click on the photo to enlarge it
Back Row: The Certified Genius (Andrew), the Seducer (Tiani), the Heiress (me), the Business man (Rob), the Rock & Roller (Rob)
Front Row: The Cheerleader (Joy), the Academic (Hannah), and the Athlete (Moose)

Anyhow, thats about enough for now, I think. As I said, I'll put some photos up when I get them.

Happy Birthday to me, and many happy returns!

4 comments:

Emma said...

I was wrong. I just got another belated birthday phonecall. Dienece finally remembered that she had forgotten my birthday :)

Joolz said...

Nice post Em

carrot said...

Who was the murderer???

Emma said...

A conspiracy of three people - included me, but the actual murdering was done by Andrew.