Friday 20 November 2009

The Twits

Illustration of the Twits by Quentin Blake

The Twits is a classic children's book written by Roald Dahl in 1980. In true Dahl style, epic grossness is employed to keep his audience interested. In this particular book, however, the grossness serves a dual purpose: to entertain the kiddies, but also as a means of having a bit of a rant about one of his pet peeves - beards. Tiani and I were reading Fantastic Mr Fox and The Twits to each other last night and I thought that this particular excerpt was worth putting up on the blog. There is more, of course, but if you want more you should just read the book.

"What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays.

When a man grows hair all over his face it is impossible to tell what he really looks like.

Perhaps that’s why he does it. He’d rather you didn’t know.


Then there’s the problem of washing.

When the very hairy ones wash their faces, it must be a big a job as when you and I wash the hair on our heads.

So what I want to know is this. How often do all these hairy-faced men wash their faces? Is it only once a week, like us, on Sunday nights? And do they shampoo it? Do they use a hairdryer? Do they rub hair-tonic in to stop their faces from going bald? Do they go to a barber to have their hairy faces cut and trimmed or do they do it themselves in front of the bathroom mirror with nail-scissors?


I don’t know. But next time you see a man with a hairy face (which will probably be as soon as you step out on to the street) maybe you will look at him more closely and start wondering about some of these things.


Mr Twit was one of these very hairy-faced men. The whole of his face except for his forehead, his eyes and his nose was covered with thick hair. The stuff even sprouted in revolting tufts out of his nostrils and ear-holes.

Mr Twit felt that this hairiness made him look terrifically wise and grand. But in truth he was neither of these things. Mr Twit was a twit. He was born a twit. And now at the age of sixty, he was a bigger twit than ever.

The hair on Mr Twit’s face didn’t grow smooth and matted as it does on most hairy-faced men. It grew in spikes that stuck out straight like the bristles of a nailbrush.


And how often did Mr Twit wash this bristly nailbrushy face of his?

The answer is NEVER, not even on Sundays.

He hadn’t washed it for years.


As you know, an ordinary unhairy face like yours or mine simply gets a bit smudgy if it is not washed often enough, and there’s nothing so awful about that.

But a hairy face is a very different matter. Things cling to hairs, especially food. Things like gravy go right in among the hairs and stay there. You and I can wipe out smooth faces with a flannel and we quickly look more or less alright again, but the hairy man cannot do that.


We can also, if we are careful, eat our meals without spreading food all over our faces. But not so the hairy man. Watch carefully next time you see a hairy man eating his lunch and you will notice that even if he opens his mouth very wide, it is impossible for him to get a spoonful of beef-stew or ice-cream and chocolate sauce into it without leaving some of it on the hairs..."


Then the grossness begins as Dahl begins to describe the foulness of Mr Twit's beard, but this post is already a bit long, so if you want to find out what was in Mr Twit's beard you need to read it for yourself.



7 comments:

Joolz said...

Have a look at the males that look after you, they all have beards, Dad, Rob and Mr Pilgrim. Yet they are all very nice and clean...

Fidget said...

So you don't love hairy individuals? Hmmpf !

Emma said...

All I did was publish Dahl's opinion of beards - I never said I personally thought they were dirty.

I dont think they are dirty. I just think that on a lot of people they look really, really stupid.

Those people do not included Dad or Mr Pilgrim. I dont have any objection to Daddy's beard. I never have had an objection to Daddy's beard even though he didnt have it when I first met him (although, I dont remember when he grew it).

And, Fidget, you know how much I love your fur. That's why you leave so much of it all over me when I come up to visit you.

Martin said...

You realise this changes nothing, don't you?

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmFnarFSj_U

Emma said...

You're so vain. I bet you think this post is about you!

I did not make this post as a statement to or about any of you - Fidget, Dad, Mr Pilgs, Martin, or even Rob. Neither was it a comment on Ayden's new found furryness.

Moose, you may have been the reason Tiani and I were talking about Roald Dahl books, but your involvement ended there. I have recently been on a bit of a spate of children's books (the BFG, the Twits, Fantastic Mr Fox, Return to the Hundred Acre Wood, the Best Nest, and the pop-up book Tori gave me for my birthday). This just happens to be one of my favourite parts of those books. Now that I have finished Return to the Hundred Acre Wood, I plan to blog about that next. I was also considering part of the BFG, but I've decided that you dont deserve it now.

carrot said...

I just can't believe u wasted all that time typing out that post! :-)

Emma said...

RETRACTION: Apparently I was wrong about when Daddy grew his beard. Sorry, Daddy.