Wednesday 24 March 2010

The Scam Artists Attack

Last night I got a rather interesting text message and this is what it said:
"Congratulations! You have just won 290,000,00 pounds in the ongoing UK NOKIA PROMO. Email us at nokiaworld.uk@live.com & call +447045744545 for claims info."

Straight away I thought it had to be a con so I Google-d it to see what would come up. Turns out hundreds of other people have been getting the same message since at least 2008, but the email address and phone number keeps changing. Frequently the email address is @gmail or @hotmail. Its definately a scam.

From the few gullible people who where stupid enough to give these criminals their details, it turns out that the con comes in when you claim delivery of your prize money. In one version, you have to pay 500 pounds to set up a bank account for the money to go into with the bank that Nokia is affiliated with, and in the other version you have to pay for the courier company to come and deliver the cash to you in person (again around 500 pounds). I haven't found anyone who actually paid the money, because the emails they had been receiving with all these directions looked so dodgy and were written with such bad grammar that you would definitely be suspicious that the person writing them did not live in the UK.

So no 290,000,00 pounds for me. Which, by the way, isnt a real amount of money - it should either be 29,000,000 or they have missed a 0 off the end. Clue number one that the whole thing is a fraud.

4 comments:

Joolz said...

like all those episodes of Hustle have paid off and you can spot a scam a mile off.

Joolz said...

There should be an "it looks" at the beginning of that comment. My computer can't keep up with my fingers

Tori said...

I picked up on the incorrect comma usage before I had finished reading your blog. I was wondering if that was your mistake or theirs. Now I know.

carrot said...

Lol! :-)