Saturday 13 October 2012

Port Macquarie here I come!

I'm off to Port Macquarie in the morning to spend a couple of weeks working with koalas. I've had this trip booked in for the past couple of months and its finally time to go. I'm packed, I'm organised, and I'm ready - I think.

I gave Ronan and Tayla to my workmate, Christie, for the two weeks I'm away. They are going to be almost unrecognisable when I get back, they should be almost weaned and will weigh nearly a kilo each - that's four times what they weighed when I got them. They are already huge, and eating more and more meat. It won't be long until they are big enough to live out at Cressy with the rest of the adult devils. They'd like that. They have a mini version of the adult enclosures at Cressy that they hang out in during the day while I'm at work and they love it. After the first day, when it was a bit too big and scary, that is. I have a couple of videos of them exploring their new outdoor enclosure that I'll put up when I have a chance.

I dropped them off at Christie's house this morning and it feels really weird to suddenly not have to feed them every four hours. I can go to bed whenever I like, I don't have to wait up until 11pm to feed them. It feels really weird because I'm so used to fitting my life around scheduling the babies' feeds and having them with me all the time. It'll take a couple of days for me to get used to not having them around, I reckon. It'll be nice to be free again once I've gotten used to it, though, and I'm going to take the opportunity to catch up on some sleep while I'm away. I haven't had a really decent night's sleep since I got the babies so I have a lot of catching up to do.

I lent Darcy to my ex-workmate, Reegan, while I'm away. She is his number one fan (except for me, of course) so its more that I am doing her the favour by lending him to her, than she is doing me the favour by taking care of him. I just hope I manage to convince her to give him back when I get home. I'd hate to get into a custody battle over him.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go to bed just for the novelty of it.

I'll post koala photos as soon as I can.

No comments: