Sunday 21 October 2012

Whale Watching


This afternoon I went whale watching! Twice, my family and I have been on one of the small, fast, rib boats, but this time I decided to go on one of the larger boats - partially because I wanted to be able to use my camera without worrying about it getting wet, and partially because you get longer on the larger vessels. It was quite a successful trip, we saw 5 humpback whales! None of the whales were jumping or dancing like the one I saw off the beach the other day, but we did get to see them come up to breath quite a lot of times. I took over 200 photos, but unfortunatley botched the only opportunity to get a shot of the tale. I got the shot, but was too excited and its horribly blurry. I enjoyed every second of my trip, but I had to block out the grumpy old couple behind me that spent the whole time whinging about how much money they had spent on the cruise and that the whales weren't completely breaching - they were totally harshing my buzz.

I've decided not to put up all 200 photos so here is a sample selection. I had my camera on rapid shooting (best invention ever) so what follows is the sequence of one of the humbacks breaching. First you get the blowhole at the back of the head surfacing and then the back of the whale arches through the water in the classic hunchback shape with the dorsal fin pointing up and then it disappears again.









No comments: