Friday 27 March 2009

There was a redback in the garden...


I was just picking up one of the pots in my garden (about half a step away from my front door) to move it out from underneath the lavender bush that has recently had a growth spurt and is trying to take over the world and as I lifted it up I saw that about 1cm away from my finger was a Redback spider.

I thoroughly coated the spider in bug spray and then, as any good zoologist would do, went back inside to find my dissecting kit so I could safely retrieve and collect her. She is now taking pride of place in my insect collection (yes, I do realise that spiders are not insects, but I figure that a Redback is cool enough to collect for a while anyway).

I have also ensured that the egg sacks next to the spider are no longer, shall we say, viable.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting.

2 comments:

carrot said...

uggg. I hate spiders. Im spider-phobic. I think thats actually aracnophobic. But That sounds 2 nerdy.

Emma said...

At least you have such a common phobia that people dont think you are weird for being scared of them.