Friday 8 May 2009

Twilight


Ok, so I watched Twilight a few weeks back, but I am only now getting around to reviewing it. That should give you a big clue as to what I thought about it - if it was exceptional in any way (good or bad) I would have probably been in a much greater hurry to review it.

You all know that I have a softspot for vampires so this could have been a movie I would fall in love with, but I didn't. While I enjoyed the gothic darkness of the filming and the use of 'guyliner' , the storyline and characters were utterly predictable - too predictable. I enjoyed watching the movie, but I'm in no hurry to watch it again, buy the DVD, or recommend it to my friends.

The success of the movie has been in its appeal to teenage girls - it has the perfect formula to appeal to teenage girls - An ordinary girl struggling to fit into a new town and a mysterious (not to mention tall, dark, and handsome) boy that are immediately drawn to each other. Their love is intense, forbidden, and dangerous - exactly what teenage girls are drawn to. I'm sure that if I was still 14 I would absolutely be a part of Twilight mania, but as an adult I'm not. I do quite like the movie posters and the art from the movie, though.

I give it three stars ***

4 comments:

LadyJane said...

I know how you feel. I haven't even seen the movie yet or read the book, but I don't think I want to or even need to. So many people talk about it you kind of know the story already... and it's not just teenagers either... *sigh*

Robert Kingston said...

I watched half of it, and then went to bed (I was tired). I did eventually watch the other half - and while not too bad, it wasnt a great movie by any stretch.

The girl falls in love with someone she hardly knows, and doesnt care that he's a vampire, killer, and can only just control his desire to drink her blood.

The Underworld movies are much better.

Emma said...

I never expected you to like it, Rob. Its much more a chick flick.

carrot said...

I haven't seem the movie; but the book is actually rather good. Aparently the movie is a lot worse; which is why I haven't bothered to whatch it yet.

But I seriously reckon you should read the book - but I guess I can't talk - I am just another 13-year-old girl after all.