Thursday 21 May 2009

Youth Allowance

The other day I heard just a snippet of a news story on the radio saying that the government are making changes to the eligibility criteria for getting youth allowance. The news said that one of the changes is that the age of independence will be brought down from 25 to 22. That would make me independent and, therefore, eligible for some of Uncle Kevin's money.

I haven't been able to find out any more about it, though, so I was wondering if any of you have been watching/listening to the news more faithfully than I have and are any more informed.

Its a very exciting prospect that perhaps Uncle Kevin will pay my bills while I do my honours and give my very generous and longsuffering parents a bit of a break. They could go on holiday or something instead of paying for all my bills - maybe a cruise to the Caribbean?

So, anyone have any info?

3 comments:

LadyJane said...

Have you checked out Centrelink and the ATO yet? Good places to start, and they actually might have the information you seek...

Uncle Kev said...

My friend Julia says
http://www.deewr.gov.au/Ministers/Gillard/Media/Releases/Pages/Article_090512_182711.aspx

So, unfortunately the 22 year age doesn't phase in until 2012, so it wont be any help to you at all.

Emma said...

Oh well...

Thanks everyone.