Tuesday 13 April 2010

Thesis Writing

Thesis writing is horribly, tremendously boring. Everything in the world is more exciting than thesis writing. Everything.

Consequently, I have really been struggling to knuckle down and actually write my thesis. That's not to say that I haven't been writing, but every word that I type is an effort. A big effort.

I have had to clear my life from distractions. But because everything in the world is more exciting than thesis writing, everything is a distraction. So I have only been able to get rid of the biggest distractors. These are (in order of time that I would spend doing them if I wasn't so self controlled):
  1. TV shows (including what's on my computer, on iview, and what's actually on tv)
  2. Games
  3. Facebook
  4. Checking my email constantly
  5. The Cheeseburger network websites
  6. All the other websites I regularly entertain myself with (mostly blogs and webcomics)
  7. Texting (hmm...maybe technology really is evil)
  8. Finding that song that I've got stuck in my head
  9. Wondering what to cook for tea
  10. Doing my nails
  11. Everything else in the world.
So, the solutions to these problems. Setting (and sticking to) some ground rules, and physically removing as many of the distractions as possible.

I have had to get rid of all the tv shows on my computer (yes, even the episode of House that I have seen roughly 32 times is still more interesting than writing my thesis) and put them on my portable hardrive for safe keeping. I have also baned myself from watching tv between the hours of 8am and 6pm (because even Oprah is more interesting than writing my thesis!). I am also only allowing myself a modest amount of all the other technology related distractions: email - maximum of once per hour, facebook - maximum of twice per day, all other websites - maximum of once per day, texting - only if I'm actually communicating important information that can't wait until later (See how boring my life is becoming). I am only allowing myself instrumental music to listen to while I work so I don't get distracted with lyrics, I plan a week's worth of meals in advance, and I only do my nails on the weekend (as if they would ever need to be done any more often than that any, but apparently I currently have a bit of an obsession about it).

All these rather stupid sounding rules and regulations have helped quite a bit. However, if you catch me breaking any of these rules, you aren't allowed to tell me off because they are my rules and only I am allowed to punish myself. So if I text you meaningless nonsense when I should be working, just ignore me.

4 comments:

Martin said...

How many comics did you reread on PHD Comics to find that one?

Emma said...

None. Thats one of the ones I kept when I read through them at the begining of my honours project.

I thought about reading all the way through them again now that I'm immersed in thesis writing, but then I decided that it would be a bad idea :)

Martin said...

Yeah, that would be probably one of the worst things you could do right now!

Not that I'm trying to stop you... Do what you want!

Emma said...

:)